So I'm new to this whole pregnancy and labor thing, right? I'm entitled to be unsure and confused as to what "real" labor is. I decided to practice the whole labor and delivery thing yesterday with Kirk and well, let's just say I do feel a lot more prepared as to what to expect.
I am 36 weeks along. The baby is probably around 6 pounds or so, and is fully developed. In my mind, she really could come at any point.
As I'm walking through Babies-R-Us yesterday I couldn't ignore the tremendous back pain I was feeling. Then, to make matters worse I had been having these dreadful cramps and shooting pains all over my stomach (called contractions I have learned). It was probably my fault for lifting heavy things all morning and moving furniture around the day before. But I can't help but feel like I am still able to do everything normal regardless of this basketball that sits in front of me. Doctor says I need to stop that.
Back to Babies-R-Us. I am pushing my cart around seeing what to get with some credit I had and I have to sit down. It KILLS! I am hunched over and trying to just sit it out. I get up after a while and it comes on strong again. I have to stop in my tracks and just stare into space. They are strong and painful and constant. I put away the things I wanted to buy and head to my car. I call Labor and Delivery and explain my symptoms: cramps all along my stomach, back pain that won't go away and difficulty walking around. I expected the nurse to say to drink some water, go sit down and relax but am shocked when she says, " you better come in right away. I will let them know you are coming and we'll admit you." UM EXCUSE ME??!!
So, I start balling and stressing out as I drive to the hospital in wonderful Southern California rush hour traffic on the 405. Kirk is composed and packs me a bag and meets me there.
I check in, they hook up baby monitors and a devise that shows the contractions. I am having them every 3-5 minutes. The midwife comes in and does the MOST PAINFUL examination I have ever had. The contractions become stronger and more frequent. Thanks a lot lady. Then they want me to walk the halls for 2 hours! I am dying. I am hungry, tired, and they won't let me eat or sit.
Hours and hours later they check me again. Cervix is a bit soft but totally closed. So I get to go home. It is like 11 pm. way past our bedtime.
Today I am still having contractions, and the doc says that I might not make my due date. I am supposed to take it easy for another week and then the baby is considered "full term" and can come whenever. Thank goodness I didn't have Malia yesterday. That would have been terrible since I am not ready for her.
I am in nesting mode hard drive now. I am doing laundry, more laundry, went to Babies-R-Us without a problem today, and am organizing and organizing. I feel like I am on meth or something.
So, that was a fun day. How was yours?
I am 36 weeks along. The baby is probably around 6 pounds or so, and is fully developed. In my mind, she really could come at any point.
As I'm walking through Babies-R-Us yesterday I couldn't ignore the tremendous back pain I was feeling. Then, to make matters worse I had been having these dreadful cramps and shooting pains all over my stomach (called contractions I have learned). It was probably my fault for lifting heavy things all morning and moving furniture around the day before. But I can't help but feel like I am still able to do everything normal regardless of this basketball that sits in front of me. Doctor says I need to stop that.
Back to Babies-R-Us. I am pushing my cart around seeing what to get with some credit I had and I have to sit down. It KILLS! I am hunched over and trying to just sit it out. I get up after a while and it comes on strong again. I have to stop in my tracks and just stare into space. They are strong and painful and constant. I put away the things I wanted to buy and head to my car. I call Labor and Delivery and explain my symptoms: cramps all along my stomach, back pain that won't go away and difficulty walking around. I expected the nurse to say to drink some water, go sit down and relax but am shocked when she says, " you better come in right away. I will let them know you are coming and we'll admit you." UM EXCUSE ME??!!
So, I start balling and stressing out as I drive to the hospital in wonderful Southern California rush hour traffic on the 405. Kirk is composed and packs me a bag and meets me there.
I check in, they hook up baby monitors and a devise that shows the contractions. I am having them every 3-5 minutes. The midwife comes in and does the MOST PAINFUL examination I have ever had. The contractions become stronger and more frequent. Thanks a lot lady. Then they want me to walk the halls for 2 hours! I am dying. I am hungry, tired, and they won't let me eat or sit.
Hours and hours later they check me again. Cervix is a bit soft but totally closed. So I get to go home. It is like 11 pm. way past our bedtime.
Today I am still having contractions, and the doc says that I might not make my due date. I am supposed to take it easy for another week and then the baby is considered "full term" and can come whenever. Thank goodness I didn't have Malia yesterday. That would have been terrible since I am not ready for her.
I am in nesting mode hard drive now. I am doing laundry, more laundry, went to Babies-R-Us without a problem today, and am organizing and organizing. I feel like I am on meth or something.
So, that was a fun day. How was yours?

4 comments:
okay WOW i am getting so excited!!!
My day wasn't quite as eventful as yours. Got home from work to find out our dinner plans were postponed...due to the fact that a certain couple wouldn't be able to make pizza port because they were walking the halls of the hospital with contractions. What a coincidence huh? haha! Glad to hear your test run was just that. Next time i'll hope for a smooth "real deal". And so happy to know you and Malia are ok :)
xoxo
Oh crazy! I was hoping that she did not come this early. Glad you are still closed for business! Because we are having a fun shower for you on Sat. lady!! I hope you can still make it. Melinda has done a wonderful job getting it together, it is going to be cute! :)
oh man Chels, I really thought by the sounds of things that you were going to have her. I bet she will come SOON!
Post a Comment