Monday, July 21, 2008

O.C. Whatta fun weekend!

Fun in the O.C.;) I laugh about that, because I read this article about how places and landmarks in this area are going to have their named changed to "O.C. this or O.C. that." So instead of just saying the Dana Point Harbor, it's soon going be the O.C. Dana Point Harbor. Whatever. Guess those shows like "Orange County" and "The O.C." have really left an impression with folks.
But anyway, about the weekend. I got to spend Saturday with two of my favorite girls ever! The Shaffer crew (Kim, Nate and Ireland and baby #2) came down for the weekend. And then Kelly was able to bless us with some of her much coveted time too! We had SO much fun! And regardless of the overcast weather, we headed for the beach to watch the boys surf (great job Nate- you looked like a real pro) and catch up on some gossip time!
All smiles except for Ireland who had just had a fly-by by a vicious seagull! Can you blame the poor girl?!
Bonding moments with Kelly and Ireland. This was the first time Ireland let me hold her (with the exception of a couple days after her birth), and I was thrilled! It started to give me a complex when every time I looked at her she would start to scream or cry! Glad to know she doesn't hate me!
Notice Ireland's "what's up?" wave here, I love it!
It was her very first time at the beach and thus the first time experiencing sand. I'm not trying to be mean by putting a picture of her crying, but it was kinda funny how she would put her hand down in the sand, look at it and then just start crying! Poor thing must hate the feeling of being sandy! Don't worry girlie, if you're like your mom you'll soon get to love the sand and wanna roll around in it like a sugar donut!
______________________________________________________________
O.C. Fair Time!!

Later
that evening we headed to the Orange County Fair for an evening of haphazard rides and unhealthy food. It was glorious. I think everyone needs to have a dinner from time to time that consists of hot dogs and funnel cakes- it's good for the soul. We did have caramel apples as well, so one of the food groups was included in our evening's menu. The view from above. The four of us (Kelly, Jason, Kirk and me) went on this ride called Speed. Picture a slingshot with rotating seats and a simple brace keeping you from pancaking on the asphalt. It was AWESOME! Props to Kelly for coming although she really, really didn't want to.
Jason, Kelly, her brother Will, and his fiance Jen. Thanks for meeting up guys!
Looking a little windblown in the Grande Ferris Wheel, which I learned is the largest traveling Ferris Wheel in the world.. cool.
Kirk's excellent photography of the Grande Ferris Wheel. Did I tell you guys I'm getting a new camera soon?! It's going to be awesome! A Canon 40D SLR with a telephoto lens and... k, I'm getting off subject. I am just really excited to get my new camera!
It's hard to understand the largeness of this animal. I guess it's a bad angle or something, but this White Steer really was the largest cow x 10 that I have ever seen. We had to pay a dollar to see this gigantic steer sitting around tied to the gate. I had this urge to call PETA when I left because it was kinda depressing.
Jason and Kelly enjoying their "Corn Dod." Apparently carnies have a hard time with spelling:)
Racing on the big slide. One round we did no touching, the other round hitting, holding, punching and jabbing were allowed. The later was so much more fun.
He may have a farmer's tan, but he doesn't quite look the roll to me:)


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

how fun!
the whole call everything o.c. stuff bugs.
but looks like the o.c. fair was fun! to bad we weren't still there to go there and play!

Kelly de Villiers said...

i love the carnie/corn dod comment....it made me laugh outloud. Last year we got kicked out of the fun house by a carnie, and I have to say, it was the highlight of the fair!
Now will you paaallease(!) send me the photos so I can blog about the night, too!!
love you to pieces.
kk.

holly said...

How fun! I miss you and Kells. Glad you got to hang out. You have such a fun life Chels.

Erin said...

The fair looks like fun! I haven't been to the OC fair in like 10 years...well, I guess since I have lived there. I am excited for our state fair here...I like looking at the animals too and eating a corn dod. and thats so exciting about the new camera...i have the equivelent of that but a Nikon, and I love it!

Lindsay said...

Ok that made me so jealous i wasn't there hanging out with you and Kim at the beach! Way fun!

Stephanie said...

What's up hot girl! I am so happy I found you. I can't believe you are married!! When did you get married? You guys look so cute together! It's been a long time, but I miss you and look forward to catching up.

Just in case you don't recognize my last name and picture, it's Stephanie Vrtiska:)

Katie said...

Looks like you has so much fun! You still haven't posted about our awesome weekend!...Not as fun filled as this one, but we still had fun right? I love going to the fair!

Rachel said...

That looks like it was so much fun! I love carnivals!

Nicole said...

HI! No, it's not for sure a boy! Sean is just convinced that it is! He won't even consider it to be a girl right now! He's crazy. It will probably be a girl just because of that! Haha! I will be 7 weeks tomorrow! I haven't even gone to the doc yet. We are trying to get our insurance all situated. Everyone tells me that before 12 weeks all they do is give you a pregnancy test and tell you to come back at 12 weeks anyway! So, I'm going to wait until then unless I don't feel good about something, ya know? Right now I feel like nothing! I was so tired for about a week and I had these cramps that pissed me off, but now, I don't feel anything! I guess it's kinda weird because at least when I was cramping and exhausted, I knew I was pregnant. Now that I don't feel anything, it kind of freaks me out! But I think I'm just a worrier and things are fine! Right?

How are you? You guys trying again/still? How's real estate going? Still a ways to go? I still think about doing that every now and again. How's the auction biz?

I miss you to pieces! I wish I could just stop working (I should anyway, I'm not making any money!) and come see you for a few days! It would be nice to get away! How's Kirk?