Saturday, July 10, 2010

Memoirs from an Overdue Preggo

When your due date comes and goes, you can't help but feel a little (or a lot) anxious. I am really surprised Malia hasn't come yet! I have had contractions for over a month now and really felt like she was ready to make her entrance weeks ago!
In these final days, I have to remain calm and grateful for the opportunity I have had to be pregnant in the first place. While some girls get pregnant right away, that was not our case. It took Kirk and I almost 2 years to have this baby which is why I might be less of a complainer than a lot of girls (not saying anyone is!). We had to try a bunch of different methods (from acupuncture, clomid, IUIs to hollistic medicine) to figure out why it was taking so long. In the end, it happened on our own. Crazy how the world works. My advice for someone that is getting frustrated as they try to make a baby, is that I firmly believe there is someone that knows when you are supposed to have a baby more than you.
These are the last days that Kirk and I will only be a 2 person family and while we have had the time of our lives together thus far, I know we are in for some really fun and sometimes exhausting adventures ahead!

Things I'll miss:

  • Feeling Malia move! She is a very active baby and she loves to work her muscles in my belly.
  • Laying in bed with Kirk holding my belly and feeling her too.
  • Having others feel my belly and talk or sing to Malia. She likes that:)
  • The sweet smiles I get from others as they stare at my belly as I walk by.
  • The kind compliments or words of advice from older and wiser people.
  • My round belly! I love it actually, I don't care I have a waist size of 42". I think it's wonderful!
  • Malia's funny hiccups.
  • Fantasizing and dreaming about how she will look or what her personality will be like.
  • The immense joy of creating this other little life.
  • Having others ask me when I'm due and when I say "today" or "yesterday" watching their eyes widen and look like they just saw a UFO.
Things I'm looking forward to:
  • Just meeting her already! Pregnancy last f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I don't care what anyone tells you, it's a 10 month process, not 9.
  • SUSHI! SUSHI! SUSHI! SUSHI!
  • Hot tubs!
  • Roller Coasters and other seemingly dangerous activities!
  • Finding out if she has dark hair or not (For some reason that is all I am really preoccupied with is whether or not she'll have hair)
  • Kissing her and smelling that new baby smell
  • Hearing her make noises.
  • For her to use and wear all of the wonderful new things that sweet friends and family have gotten her!
  • Getting to sleep on my tummy again. That will be so nice!
  • I can't wait to go surfing with Kirk again.
  • Working out to the point of exhaustion.
  • Having that large number on the scale get back down to where it's supposed to be.
  • Staring P90X with our group of friends.
  • Calling Kirk Daddy.
  • Being called Mom.
  • Hobbs will have a new best friend and playmate.
  • I'll always have a constant buddy and one day the best little helper.
  • My chest size may expand even more, and that could be fun;)
  • Taking some time off of work.
  • Being more tired and feeling more unprepared, yet feeling more fulfilled than I ever have in my life.
  • For these darn hormones to chill out- at least a little! I am always on the verge of tears!

4 comments:

The last Unicorn said...

Sometimes when I read your blog it is like I am reading my own! The baby will be here and you will forget that you were pregnant just a few days ago! She will make your heart feel so full that it might explode! And someone does know when its the right time to have a baby and when that baby should be born, try to be patient and enjoy sleeping :) Being a mom is the best!

kimberlee shaffer said...

I honestly am so excited for you I tear up thinking about it. Delivering my 2 girls has been the most amazing experiences. Raising them, even more unbelievable. You are in for the ride of your life Chelsea, I couldn't be more happy for you guys!

Mrs. Jones says said...

Good luck my friend! You are in for a ride, up and down, but the joy is priceless, Malia joy that is! ;) Love ya. Hope you did not miss church because of my "advice" yesterday ;)

Crystal said...

SO excited for you! It is really not up to us when the babes decide to join our families. Not to belittle when a pregnancy comes easily, but when you've waited for a LONG time, you really appreciate ALL of it. You've done an amazing job so far in appreciating it. And you will LOVE being a mommy, it is awesome! Good luck! And kiss her sweet little newborn neck, it's my favorite part, so soft and sweet. :)