She's here! She's here! Our perfect little princess is here! Keely Yukiko Schilling was born at 10:59pm on February 16th, 2012. She was 19 1/2inches long and weighed 7 lbs. 3 oz. She scored high on the Abgar rating (a 9) and is basically as perfect as they come! We are SO blessed and lucky to have this new little angel in our family and would like to share her birth story now.
So, as we know, Keely was a breech baby. Despite all efforts to get her to turn (chiro visits, headstands in the pool, weird exercises and even a Version performed by doctors, she wouldn't turn. Because of this, the doctors made it clear that as soon as I started having regular contractions, I needed to go to the hospital to have the baby. They don't want your water to break and for you to go into "active" labor when you have a breech baby because of the complications that could happen. So on February 16th, we checked myself in.
We were having a good day- friends had come over to play with Malia, my mom took Malia to Lobo's carnival and I was running last minute errands at Target in anticipation of Keely's arrival. While at Target, I began having painful contractions. I started timing them and noticed they were every 4-5 minutes. I began to worry and even started to cry in the toy section of Target because I was nervous that I was going into labor! I was mostly scared because I knew a C section was the only alternative for me to have. I LOVED giving birth (as I have mentioned before) and was scared to be cut open. Even though a million people I know have had successful and wonderful stories about C sections, I was just nervous. I don't like surgeries or knives or blood, etc.
So, I checked myself out with my newborn diapers and new "big sister" toys for Malia and went back to Lobo to get my mom and daughter. Luckily, my mom is awesome and cool and calm and says, "Ok! Let's get you to the hospital and let's have your baby!"
Of course I couldn't get ahold of Kirk who has been busier than he has his whole life with his new business (which is also a blessing but ironic that he is SO busy right when we are going to have a baby) so I drove myself home, got our bags and went to my parents. Kirk was able to meet up and drove me to the hospital.
We checked ourselves in and they hooked me up to all their contraptions and we waited. The contractions started getting more and more painful and were about 3 minutes apart at that time. They gave me something to slow down the contractions and prepped me for what was going to happen. I LOVED the doctor that was going to perform the C section- Betty Shen and our anesthesiologist.
Finally it was our turn. We walked over to surgery and I got on the table and they performed the spinal tap. It instantly began working and soon i felt like a limp and heavy noodle. They put up the drape so I couldn't see anything and began the surgery. It didn't take long before I heard sweet baby Keely crying and then of course, I started crying too:) I remember a lot of pressure and the smell of them cauterizing my skin. I started to feel really nauseous from the drugs and almost threw up. It was an entirely different experience than Malia. They showed her to me wrapped up, but i didn't get to hold her until I was in recovery. Kirk got to do skin to skin with her first, so that was special for him.
I first remember thinking that Keely looked so much like Malia, but after i held her in recovery I realized they looked so different.
It was a great day! I'll share more later about but now i need to go nurse my newborn:)
Don't we look nice in our surgery garb?
Love at first sight!!! She was crying when she came out but quickly calmed down after she was wrapped up.
getting weighed and measured

My sweet and sleepy little girl!
Poor quality photos, but such a special moment!!
She's ours forever!!! We love her like crazy!!








5 comments:
Congratulations! She is beautiful and so are you!
yayyyy chelsea! she is GORGEOUS! what a lovely story. i'm so happy for you & your fam!
She is precious. Love you guys and I am so happy for you.
thanks for the morning cry. I love babies and I love their stories. She is absolutely perfect and beautiful!! We can't wait to meet her!! xoxo
I love hearing birthing stories. She is so sweet Chelsea! I'm so baby hungry I can hardly stand it. Mia told me the other day, "Mommy, we need to name our baby Shirley." LOL, I'm not even pregnant, and NO I'm not naming a baby Shirley, haha! How nice that you got to hold her in recovery. In PR you can hold your baby until after recovery which is 6 hours. Unfortunately I couldn't hold Hayden for 4 days :( Can't wait to do it all over again and have my firsts with another :)
Post a Comment