Wednesday, April 20, 2011

In celebration of Earth Day..

BEFORE
AFTER!
So my dad has been calling me "Molly" standing for "Molly Mormon" and I just laugh my head off about this. I am no pioneer. I am no domestic goddess. I work (as a Realtor and would love to help you!) and am a full time mom. My efforts seem pretty nil compared to my friends and family.
But I get points for trying, right?
I have recently become OBSESSED with making my own baby food. I love it! It's fun and easy to do so I can handle it. I suppose I received a lot of my inspiration on being a mom from the book "Superbaby" by Dr. Jenn Berman who talks in great detail about how we can be better parents. And seeing that I am basically obsessed with being a mom (if you couldn't tell by my almost nauseating amounts of Malia posts) I loved the book.
One whole chapter is devoted on how to feed your baby healthy and discusses the cons of a lot of traditional baby foods and just foods for that matter. I have decided that being as organic as possible is what I will do for my children. I won't succeed all the time, but I shall try.
I got into this big kick one day with all these ideas pouring out of my brain on baby food combinations! It was terrible really, I couldn't sleep! So I wrote my ideas down and went to town the next day while Malia took her nap. I managed to burn out my mini food processor and settled for the blender which actually worked just fine.
Some of Malia's favorite combos are as follows (and organic of course;):
*spinach apple pear
*carrot banana apple
*mango chicken (already cooked with no seasoning) cantaloupe
*spinich papaya banana
*mango pear banana
*papaya mango banana
*apple chicken
*apple chicken spinach
*carrot banana
THE LIST GOES ON! Basically, take foods that you know your baby likes and think of foods that may taste good together. It's a little bit of trial and error- like the spinich chicken mango just tasted weird.. and the cantaloupe apple spinach wasn't really a hit.. just have fun!
And those "take and toss" mini tupperwares are perfect for storing the extras and even freezing!
My mini food processor wasn't up to the challenge and I killed it. Oh well, it made a big mess anyway.
K, and then we decided that riding bikes was one of our favorite past times and Malia needed to join us.
So we went to BUY MY BIKES in San Juan (thanks Rachelle!!!) and bought this awesome bike trailer. It's no Burley, but it works GREAT! It will accomodate another bambino one day when missy miss decides she needs a brother or sister. Now you can fit a baby and a diaper bag and a Mr. Hobbs.
This is kinda a lousy picture, but Malia loves it. She's going "Wow, wow owww.." which is Malia talk for "this is fun!"
I have a really rad husband that likes to do the same things as me.
So now we can ride our bikes to the beach (done!) and to dinner (done!) and to friends' houses (done!) and to get groceries (tomorrow!)
We asked the nice man at the store how bike sales were doing and lo and behold- bike sales are doing great! Guess the $4 and something gas prices are really starting to bug people.

AND THEN in celebration of Earth Day this week, I decided to GO GREEN with my cleaning supplies. This makes a lot of sense for our family since we have a slug that is always on the floor and will occasionally lick the floor just to see what it's like.
Dr. Jenn Berman also devotes a chapter of her book to ways we can help protect the earth and in the process also protect our wee ones.
Ta-Da! Non-toxic, safe for the environment and not even that expensive cleaning supplies.
Maybe one day I'll get cloth diapers and go really hippie style (Ha! No way! Besides, the cons of water wasted to wash them, and gas for cars needed to handle cloth diaper services outweighs the pros)
"My name's Malia and I like to make funny faces!"
Homemade organic baby food- check!
Manual methods of transportation- check!
Non-hazardous stuff to clean- check!
I feel so proud of myself right now! (p.s. that doesn't usually happen)

5 comments:

CheyAnn said...

Yay for organic!! I try to do my best in that area, I have my good days and I have my "oh this french fry won't hurt you" days, but you have inspired me to get back on the healthy bandwagon.

The last Unicorn said...

I am so proud of you!!! I am going to pick up that book and will definitely try out some of your baby food combos! I make about 50% of James food. Some he likes and some I am hoping he will eventually like. Malia is getting so big... don't you just love this age???

kimberlee shaffer said...

I love organic, I am the same as you, I try most of the time but am not 100%!! That sounds like a good book, I might need to pick that one up. Malia is just so! beautiful, not to mention how great you look, you make me sick. love ya! xoxo

ashley said...

go you with the baby foods! i love making good stuff for lola. you have some good ideas that i will have to try! and that book sounds really great too, i just may have to get it!

oh, and i cloth diaper lola. it's rad. seriously, not having to buy diapers and feel bad about throwing so much junk away everyday is great. it's really not hard to do at all and most people that cloth diaper don't use a diaper service. it's easy to wash at home. cloth diapers have come a long way, there are so many different types. i am no cloth diaper nazi but it really is not bad at all, i totally suggest them!
plus after i read this article it made me happy that i use them:
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/are-disposable-diapers-really-that-bad/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AllAboutClothDiapers+%28All+About+Cloth+Diapers%29

anyways... off my soap box. your a super good mom and i love reading all about malia!

Rachelle said...

yay for making baby food. malia is so so cute. now lets meet and bike ride together. :)